Falling in love is never accompanied without a soundtrack. It’s the times when you are driving alone in your car, thinking about that certain someone, listening to Rihanna’s lyrics, wondering if you, too, have found love in a hopeless place.
Valentine’s Day is approaching, making citizens of the United States, and those who stream Hallmark commercials online, feel the need to be falling in love with someone; a significant other, a dog, a pint of Ben & Jerry’s. We’re all looking for any lyrics that can be manipulated to fit the current goings on in our life stories.
Here’s a Valentine’s Day Playlist that will get your heart pumping and your brain thinking thoughts of love, or at least, lust.
1. “Mercy” – Matt Nathanson. Nathanson’s songs are always pulsating with sexually-charged lyrics, and “Mercy” lands within these boundaries. This time, he wants “a real love/ to let me in”. And then, of course, that love should let him between the sheets. At least he wanted to be in love first.
2. “Little Bit” – Lykke Li. Perhaps a love song for the 21st-century kind of woman. The woman who will toy around with a guy that she’s on the verge of falling in love with. She won’t make a move until he does, though she’s been certain of him all along.
3. “Nothing But Our Love” – Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. A zoned-out melody about only lacking the other person’s love in their lives. Drugs might be mentioned, but hey, you’re molding the lyrics to fit your life story, not their’s.
4. “Out Loud” – Dispatch. A we’ve –broken-up-but-I’m-still-in-love-with-you-and-respect-the-hell-out-of-you-please-let’s-get-back-together Valentine’s Day anthem. Completely heartfelt and honest, this song is what you need when you need that special person back in your life.
5. “You Send Me” – Sam Cooke. Cooke is the master of love. His lyrics are honest and his voice is compassionate. Throw this song on an iPod playlist as you’re heading to Valentine’s date night, and she won’t be able to help but fall for you.
Laura Stillo is the Arts & Entertainment Writer and Creative Social Media Producer for YouPlusDallas. Follow her on Twitter at @laurastillo.