Giving Pink a Wink: Trying Out Mary Kay

Posted by    |    May 16th, 2012 at 10:41 am

I remember seeing those pale pink compacts in my Mom’s dressing table drawer as a kid.  They were calling my name, begging  me to open them and play.  Alas, the one time I made this calling a reality, I’m pretty sure it resulted in time-out and red lipstick all over my face and most of the counter.  That was my first and last experience with Mary Kay.  Until now.

I was offered the chance to try out some of Mary Kay’s new cosmetic and spa-like products, and I was intrigued to find out why so many women are addicted.  Scores of women sell the brand successfully year after year, as evidenced by pink Cadillacs scooting around town.  The brand is shrouded in a sort of mystery, since it isn’t available in stores but has a cult-like following of devotees.  If it was good enough for my Mom a few decades ago, I figure it must still be pretty impressive to have continued in that success.

Keeping things short and sweet, this is what I found out: Mary Kay is a brand for smart, on-the-go ladies.  Smart, you say?  Yes.  With compacts that allow you to switch out colors magnetically, you aren’t filling your makeup drawer with 100 different compacts taking up all your free space.  You only need a few compacts that you supplement with smaller, lighter cases of colors that can be snapped into those compacts in 5 seconds.  Me likey.

Next, the Mary Kay colors are trendy and cool.  I have to admit, I was expecting more traditional (read: boring,) colors.  Instead, I found brights, neutrals, and bronzing tones that are up to trend and not boring at all.  Give the Mango Tango lipgloss a try this season!

Lastly, my hands and lips tend to be very dry.  (I doubt it has anything to do with the 1,000 degree showers I take….).  The Satin Hands and Satin Lips products are so stinking good that you’ll feel like you’ve had a paraffin wax.  I can see why these are some of the best sellers.  Need I remind you that the youth of a woman’s hands is the first dead giveaway to her real age?  Even Botox can’t hide that, my friends.

There you have it: Mary Kay is worth all the hype.  Truly, the compact space saving aspect is something that made the OCD organizer in me jump for joy.  If you have the same tendencies, I recommend giving this brand a go. The products work, they are affordable, and they save time and space!  And hey, every time you see those pink cars driving by, you’ll feel oddly acquainted.

(images via Google images and MaryKay.com)

-Hilary Kennedy is a contributing author for YouPlus Style and YouPlus Dallas, focusing primarily on Style, Arts and Entertainment, and Dating and Relationships. Hilary also stars in many videos for YouPlusMedia and has her own show, The Hilary Kennedy Show.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Suzanne Jackson says:

What a great and informative article! I haven’t used Mary Kay in years,but now I want to give it another try!

2. Daina Gall says:

The company makes it fun and easy to stay beautiful and organized!
    I have been a consultant for 8 years and counting…
    I love the products and I love my careeer!

3. Ahna Delgado says:

Thank you Hillary for the shout out! Mary Kay is without a doubt the best on the market for today’s busy woman! Love to share it with every woman I meet! Who’s the least bit curious and wants to share in the excitement? Give me a shout and make up your own mind!

4. Kaysha Gammage says:

Thanks Hillary for your gracious review of Mary Kay products. I love the products…and I’m just saying this because I’m a MK Beauty Consultant. But the products are one of the best in the market for the price point!!!!! The products…makeup in particular wears well and lasts long. Oh…and don’t get me started on the skin care products. They are GREAT!!! I not only love the product, but I love what the company stands for and I love the people I’ve met since being at MK!!!

For more information on MK products, company, etc., you may contact me at http://www.marykay.com/kgammage or call me at 369-322-9464!!!

5. Kaysha Gammage says:

Repost with correct phone number!

For more information on MK products, company, etc., you may contact me at http://www.marykay.com/kgammage or call me at 469-322-9464!!!

6. Melody Sumter says:

I can so relate to this story! I first learned about Mary Kay when I would see my mom’s pink Mary Kay compacts and skin care products in her bathroom as a little girl! Fast forward 25+ years and I actually became a Mary Kay consultant shortly after graduating from college in 2001. I learned then that behind the great products, there was an even greater company with an awesome philosophy of God First, family second & career third. Even though I left Mary Kary as a consultant for almost 10 years, I never stopped being a Mary Kay customer! Their products are absolutely the best there is! And now, I’ve re-started my Mary Kay business and love the fact that I control my destiny when it comes to being an independent business woman. For more info on how to get products email me at melodysumter@marykay.com! Don’t doubt them until you try them :)

7. I really enjoyed this article on a different perspective. Enjoy

8. So many reasons I love using and selling MARY KAY!

9. Kelly Stone Kuster says:

Giving Pink a Wink: Trying Out Mary Kay — just one more woman who loves our product and didn't think she would before trying it! How about you have you tried it yet? Ask me, we'll visit and you can decide! marykay.com/kkuster

10. This is soooo true. Is there any reason you could not give me your opinion! Prizes to everyone who does!

11. Heidi Wiemerslage Endicott says:

Giving Pink a Wink: Trying Out Mary Kay — just one more woman who loves our product and didn't think she would before trying it! How about you have you tried it yet? Ask me, we'll visit and you can decide! http://www.marykay.com/hendicott

12. Pink Truth says:

Unfortunately, "scores" of women are not successful in Mary Kay. 99% of people who participate in MLM lose money. Mary Kay is no exception. Get the facts at Pink Truth: http://www.pinktruth.com.